According to an article titled, “12 Fish You Should Never Eat” by Emily Main, the nonprofit Food and Water Watch studied the many varieties of fish available, how they were harvested, how certain species are farmed, and levels of toxic contaminants like mercury or PCBs in the fish, as well as how heavily local fishermen relied upon fisheries for their economic survival. These are the 12 fish that they determined we should never eat:
1) Imported Catfish: 90% come from Vietnam where antibiotics that are banned in the US is widespread, 2 varieties aren’t technically considered catfish by the US gov’t and aren’t held to the same inspection rules.
2) Caviar: comes from beluga and wild-caught sturgeon, subject to overfishing and an increase in pollution in the water in which they live
3) Atlantic Cod: chronic mismanagement and low stock has put the species one step above endangered
4) American Eel (yellow or silver eel): commonly found in sushi, highly contaminated with PCB’s & mercury, fisheries are suffering from pollution and overharvesting
5) Imported Shrimp: the dirtiest fish with contaminants like antibiotics, residues of chemical used to clean pens, mouse and rat hair, pieces of insects, E. coli, 90% of shrimp sold in the US is imported, less than 2% of all Imported seafood ( shrimp, crab, catfish etc) gets inspected
See the rest of the list #6-12
Read what Dr. Oz & Dr. Weil say
Get a chart on the amount of mercury found in each fish
Plant-based sources of omega-3
What to eat at a sushi restaurant
Great "fishy" recipes at
Vegan American Princess
Voted #2 in Skinny Scoop's Top 25 Vegan Blogs of 2013
Click Here to Like us on Facebook
Learning all about living a more vegan lifestyle---food, health, plant-based nutrition, recipes, restaurants, products, beauty, news, ideas---anything related to veganism!