With the start of school just around the corner, it's time to get back to a classroom frame of mind. Along with lots of smiles and adventures, summer also brought about later bed times and, sometimes, a loss of routine. This week Patch offers a few tips for getting back-to-school-ready.
1. Bed Time–It's time to get your kids on a regular sleep schedule. With the start of school less than a week away, now is a good time to start. Taking into consideration their wake-up time, make sure your kids get at least a good eight hours of sleep.
2. Appointments–Make sure to have all physicals, shots and records up to date. Doctor's offices are busy this time of year, so give yourself plenty of time. This also includes dental appointments.
3. Calendar–Pick up a school calendar that marks important dates. Some offer separate slots for each child and stickers that include important details like half days, school meetings, etc. The start of a school year brings sporting events and activities, so always remember to jot it down!
4. Shopping–No need to go crazy with back to school shopping. Make sure to check to see if you already have classroom staples before going out to buy more. When it comes to clothing, look for hand-me-downs and always check TJ Maxx for some great steals. M. Fredric's outlet store, here in Agoura, also offers some great deals. .
5. Turn Off TV–During the summer, there's usually a more relaxed attitude when it comes to watching TV. However, now is the time to prepare your kids for homework frame of mind. A great way to get them into the new routine is to have them read a book, do a puzzle or anything that requires creativity and imagination.