With the New Year in full swing it is time to get to those New Year's resolutions. One of the top New Year's resolutions people make is to get fit and/or loss weight. Now that the resolution is made, it is time to get motivated and take action!
It can be hard after a long holiday break, whether you traveled, had family in town or just attended lots of Holiday parties, to get back to it. The holidays throw a wrench in our schedules and it can be hard to get back to "the routine."
Here are some tips to help you get motivated and get back to the gym.
1. Go out and get some new workout clothes. Having a stylish new outfit can help motivate you to get to the gym.
2. Download some new music and make a couple of new playlists that help to pump you up. Find music that makes you move, gives you energy and makes you feel good. You will begin to look forward to getting to the gym to put on your favorite playlist.
3. Bring your workout clothes to work, pack a workout bag the night before and bring it with you. This will help you get in the mindset of getting to the gym right after work. If you go home first, don't sit down, get your workout clothes out immediately and get to the gym. Don't give yourself time to debate with yourself about whether or not to go to the gym. This will start to make going to workouts a routine and habit.
4. Schedule your workouts in your calender, this will get you to plan and hold yourself accountable. You should be scheduling at least three days a week for a minimum of 30 minutes.
5. Go to a fitness class, hire a trainer or find a workout buddy to help hold you accountable. You will be less likely to cancel or not go to the gym if you have a time and day you are "supposed" to be there.
6. Set realistic goals for yourself. For example, start with getting to the gym three times a week. Then as you reach this goal after a couple of weeks, increase your workout times, then increase your intensity of your workouts. As you keep reaching your goals, you will become more confident and excited about your workouts.
7. Start with exercises you like to do. If you are a spin person, then go to spin class. You will be less likely to quit something you enjoy doing.
8. Learn new exercises and ways to workout. Hire a personal trainer or do your own research and begin to work on new exercises. Change up your workouts by changing the order of exercises and how you put them together. Always make sure you are doing proper form and have proper posture to avoid injury.
9. Drink plenty of water, get enough sleep and eat right, so when you get to your workouts you feel good. If you are not getting these elements in your workouts, you can feel sluggish. This will help you feel energized, strong and ready to work!
10. Reward yourself for making your workouts with non-calorie rewards. For example, give yourself a star next to the workouts you made in your calender. Set a goal to make 12 workouts in a row and treat yourself to a massage or facial. Do something you will look forward to.
These 10 tips will help you get motivated and back to the gym. Once you get started on your program, the benefits of exercise will far exceed any lack of motivation you may have.
Exercise will increase your energy, boost your immune system, help your mood and increase your overall health. The human body is meant to move. You must workout for your own health and longevity!