What makes a professional athlete so good at what they do? Obviously, professional athletes have tons of talent and are dedicated to what they do, but there is one major key component that professional athletes and the greatest athletes of all time have. Basic fundamentals!
It is key to be fundamentally sound in the skills a sport requires. But beyond that it is critical to have basic fitness fundamentals to be a well rounded athlete. Basic fundamentals of fitness include cardiovascular endurance, muscular strength, muscular endurance, flexibility and body composition:
- Cardiovascular endurance refers to the ability of the heart and lungs to work together to fuel the body with oxygen. This area of fitness also helps keep the heart strong so one can preform at high levels.
- Muscle strength refers to the amount of force a muscle can exert in a single effort. Great exercises one should learn properly to help with strength is the squat, deadlift, push up and a pull-up.
- Muscle endurance refers to the ability of a muscle to perform a continuous effort without fatiguing. This is where high repetitions come into play and getting the body used to performing for longer periods of time.
- Flexibility refers to the ability of each joint to express its full range of motion. With greater range of motion one will get better results. This area is often over looked in many sports and should be a major focus to help prevent injury.
- Body composition refers to the amount of body fat, versus the amount of lean muscles, bones and organs someone has. This is where nutrition becomes a key factor in fueling the body properly to recover and repair itself.
If an athlete works on all these components, no matter what sport they participate in, they will perform at a higher caliber. If an athlete is weak in one area over another they should focus on their weaknesses to help them reach the next level. The body works as a whole and all areas need to be strong to perform well.
Whether a person becomes a professional, collegiate or high school athlete, these fundamentals will carry a person all the way through life. These fundamentals will stick with them when learned at a young age. This will give a person a much better chance at staying strong and healthy throughout their lives.
Basic fundamentals of fitness is for all young people not just those looking to become an athlete. The human body is meant to move and work, by working a little on each of these components of fitness a person will be a healthy and happy individual.