Winter's chill may still be in the air, but it is already time to start thinking about summer camp registration for the kids. Currently, many camps are accepting applications, and if you sign up now, you will pay lower rates than if you wait until late spring or summer. You will also have a better chance of getting your choice of days and classes.
Below is a list of the top camps in the Agoura Hills area.
- Camp Info: Founded in 1954, Camp Kinneret Summer Day Camp offers children ages 4 -14 a fun-filled program full of adventure and friendship. The program includes a wide variety of traditional camp activities, including swimming, horsemanship, camp crafts, nature, sports, overnights, special days and much more. Kinneret also offers training and internship programs for older kids, available on their website.
- Open Houses & Enrollment: March 20 and April 17. Camp day combinations are filling up quickly, so the directors recommend that you make a refundable deposit to secure your slot before visiting the camp at the open houses. For additional information or to speak with a director, call 818-706-8255.
- Camp Info: Nestled on over 30 acres in the Santa Monica Mountains for the past 12 years, Camp Keystone's day and sports camp can give your child a place to have fun in a safe, park-like environment. The camp offers four different camps: Day Camp for ages 6-12, Jr. Camp geared for ages 3-5, Sports Camp for ages 7-12, and the CILT (Counselors in Leadership Training) program for 13- to 14-year-olds.
- Open Houses & Enrollment: There will be five open houses between Mar. 13 to May 1. Right now, the camp is offering price breaks on early registration until May.
- Camp Info: This camp located at Calamigos Ranch, one of the earliest camps in California dating back to the 1940's, and offers 120 private acres, including two ponds and three swimming pools for campers ages 4-14. Campers can go swimming, horseback riding, rock wall climbing, fishing, go-carting and more.
- Open Houses: March 13, 20, April 17.
- Camp Info: The art camp, launched by David Wohlstadter 10 years ago as an alternative to traditional summer day camp programs, offers a custom-crafted summer arts program filled with stimulating and enriching workshops that focus on exploring a wide variety of techniques and materials. Kids partake in a wide array of classes from African embroidery to fencing to video gaming. Ages for Art Camp are 7 to 11, with Art Camp 101 for kids ages 5-6.
- Open Houses & Enrollment: There are no Open Houses. Enrollment for returning campers begins Feb. 19; friends of returning campers is Feb. 26; and new students, Mar. 5.
- Camp Info: As always, Parks & Rec presents a wide variety of summer programs for kids, ranging in age from 5 through 14. Each session is weekly and the prices vary. Returning favorites include and , and . New additions will feature Islands Surf Camp, Video Game Design, and Edutainment Camp, featuring Star Wars, Harry Potter and desserts.
- Open Houses & Enrollment: No Open Houses. Sign up will begin with the arrival of the Spring '11 brochure that is mailed out on Mar. 21.
- Camp Info: The Triunfo Y continues its tradition of annual childcare with their popular summer camp. Held at a different Agoura site each summer, the camp offers swimming, beach days and exciting field trips like Knotts Berry Farm.
- Open Houses & Enrollment: No Open Houses. Sessions are weekly at a cost of $200 for 5 days. Sign up begins Mar. 1. For more information, contact the Y at 818-707-9622.
- Camp Info: The country club offers a tennis or golf specialty camp in addition to a myriad of other activities that include swimming, soccer, ping-pong, and arts and crafts. Each day, campers are provided with a lunch and snacks. The camp sessions are five days only and accommodate kids ages 4-14.
- Open Houses & Enrollment: The club is always open for touring. Registration begins in early March. For further information, contact the camp at 818-889-1158, ext. 107.